Home EBU TDs

Call withdrawn because of misinformation

What happens if a call is made based on misinformation from an opponent. The misinformation is then corrected and the call withdrawn. Is the withdrawn call authorised information for the partner of the player who withdrew it? For the opponents?

This came up in actual play when I was playing, not directing. It was a private match so no director immediately available.

My LHO opened 2Clubs, which was alerted. Partner asked the meaning and was told, "it's an Acol 2clubs showing a strong hand but not implying any particular distribution". Partner doubles. Our agreement is that a double of an artificial bid shows a good holding in the suit doubled - ie. at least four decent clubs. Opener's partner then says, "Oh no. I got that wrong. It's strong but a natural club suit. Sorry, you can take back your double if you like."

Partner withdraws her double and replaces it with a pass. In the subsequently auction and play, am I allowed to know that my partner has four decent clubs? If an opponent becomes declarer, are they allowed to know?

Comments

• LAW 16 C

C. Information from Withdrawn Calls and Plays
    When a call or play has been withdrawn as these laws
    provide:
    1. For a non-offending side, all information arising
    from a withdrawn action is authorized, whether the
    action be its own or its opponents’.
    2. For an offending side, information arising from its
    own withdrawn action and from withdrawn actions
    of the non-offending side is unauthorized. A player
    of an offending side may not choose a call or play
    that is demonstrably suggested over another by
    unauthorized information if the other call or play is
    a logical alternative.
    3. The Director shall assign an adjusted score (see Law
    12C1) if he considers that a violation of C2 has
    damaged the non-offending side

• In other words

"Yes - you are allowed to know partner has four good clubs"

"No - your opponents are not allowed to know that your partner has four good clubs."

"If the opponents make use of the information e.g. they decide to play in 5 clubs instead of 6 clubs because the fear the loss of a trump trick - then the director might adjust the contract to 6 Clubs -1 instead of 5 clubs making. Another example might be the opponents deciding not to play in 3NT because they don't expect the club suit to run.

I am sure the director would have explained all that. He was called wasn't he? Your opponent does not have the right to provide any rectification or make a ruling - and if you agreed to their ruling then you cannot recover if you suffer as a result of it being incorrect - although the TD can take away any advantage that accrued to them.

At any rate you should call the TD back at the end of the hand since you might have been damaged in a non-obvious way. You are entitled to removal of damage even if you don't know you have been damaged.

• It was a match played online with no TD in attendance. In actual fact, it didn't worry me too much as we got a good result. The reason for my post was to clarify the legal position should anything similar occur in the future when I am directing.