Home EBU TDs

Announcing and alerting table in HTML format

edited March 2023 in EBU TDs

I have seen a couple of websites which have the announcing and alerting table in HTML format - for example:

https://www.bridgewebs.com/cgi-bin/bwoq/bw.cgi?pid=display_announcing&wd=1&club=cumbria

This format is quicker, easier and more convenient than the PDF On the EBU website, espeically if looking up on a phone. Has it been produced by the EBU and could it be put on the EBU website for easy linking and/or embedding by clubs?

There is a mistake on that HTML version - the 2NT N/A box should have a red border. Looks like the mark-up should be: style="border:3px solid red"

Comments

• The Blue Book is being revised for 2023. including changes to alerting and announcing - ducks

The alerting and announcing summary will need to be updated - which I will start on when the Blue Book changes stabilize. I agree HTML would be an improvement for online (smart) viewing. If I change the format, I will need to ensure that a printed version from the HTML looks OK because the printed PDF is displayed at some events and in some clubs.

• I think you can stand up straight now Robin LOL!
    Perhaps you could rename the "Annoucing and Alerting Summary" to "Announcing and Alerting Epic". Altough I do hope that any changes will reduce the summary by at least two pages. Ah! well we can all live in hope.

• @CMOT_Dibbler said:
    Perhaps you could rename the "Annoucing and Alerting Summary" to "Announcing and Alerting Epic". Although I do hope that any changes will reduce the summary by at least two pages. Ah! well we can all live in hope.

This is a serious dilemma to which I have no easy answer. Some (players and regulators) expect every nuance of the alerting/announcing regulations to be reflected in the "summary" - which to me means it is going to be longer that the regulations. Others want a summary covering the common situations in less than 3 pages - much as the 2006 original document did.

• There's no problem producing both PDF and HTML as has already been done for the current summary - my original request was to please consider also adding the HTML version onto the EBU website. I think I may have found the origin of the HTML version:

https://www.bridgewebs.com/ebu/page2.html

If it's produced as HTML first then it should be straightforward to Print to PDF from a web browser.

I hope you don't mind a few thoughts for future updates:

• I support keeping it short and simple. Maybe have a short summary for common cases/conventions and a long summary for the completists.
    • I find "N/A" rather unintuitive - how about calling this "None" or "Nothing".
    • How about changing the tick to the words "Alert" and "None/Nothing" - makes the table easier to read and quicker to decipher.
    • Some players like to keep 1NT-2NT as natural (so Stayman is promissory) and instead have 1NT-3C as transfer to diamonds. This is a clear candidate for annoucing although is not in the current table.

If the Blue book is being updated, please could we take the opportunity to further de-genderise it? The current Blue Book has "he" and "his" appearing 32 and 22 times each ("their" appears 30 times, some of them for plural players).