Home Club Forum

Particular bid

Recent club night playing Chicago.
My hand was 7 Spades A, K, Q, J, 10, 9, 6,
3 Hearts A, , 9, 7
2 Clubs K, 7
1 Diamond 9

8 top tricks but 17 points.
Should I have bid 1 S, 4 S, 2 C or 2 NT , please ?
Thank you, Martyn

Comments

• It depends on your system.
    I think I would open 1S sometimes and possibly 4S or 2C depending on an absolutely random decision.

Alan

• Recent club night playing Chicago.
    My hand was 7 Spades A, K, Q, J, 10, 9, 6,
    3 Hearts A, , 9, 7
    2 Clubs K, 7
    1 Diamond 9

8 top tricks but 17 points.
    Should I have bid 1 S, 4 S, 2 C or 2 NT , please ?
    Thank you, Martyn> @16248 said:

It depends on your system.
    I think I would open 1S sometimes and possibly 4S or 2C depending on an absolutely random decision.

Thank you that has made me feel a little better !

I was opener and felt that 1 S might not get a response,
    2 NT could ask for trouble so I dropped my choice to 4 S or 2 C. 2 C worried me as I only had 17 points.
    I opted for 4 S. I made 12 tricks as my partner had a singleton S, singleton H, A Q J D + 2, A C + 5. 11 points !
    Diamond lead to A. Singleton H to A. H to singleton S ! (the 2) gave 3. C to my K gave 4 tricks ran 7 spades gave 11. Club to partner's A gave 12 !
    Our conclusion was that 2 C guaranteed a response and bidding with these points in partners hand would have reached the slam. It always left 4 S as an easy opt out !
    I felt a little annoyed with myself for not having the courage to fib about my point holding.
    D'Oh ! Martyn

• 2 C doesn't necessarily show points. It shows what we used to call a strong hand before the EBU redefined the word 'strong.'

Anyway, I'm never sure about bidding with hindsight.
    What might have worked that time wouldn't have worked if your partner had a different hand
    ;)

Alan

• @16248 said:
    2 C doesn't necessarily show points. It shows what we used to call a strong hand before the EBU redefined the word 'strong.'

Anyway, I'm never sure about bidding with hindsight.
    What might have worked that time wouldn't have worked if your partner had a different hand
    ;)

Thank you.
    I understand your point but even if my partner's response had been 2D I still had the option to take the plunge to the 4S that I actually bid.
    I like the 2C option as it would have kept the door open and as a potential slam bid doesn't arise to often I was annoyed with myself that we had that opportunity but I had closed the door with my opener !