Home EBU TDs

Dummy's rights/limitations

2»

Comments

• @pg10003 said:
    Surely all we need is the second part of L42A2(c):
    Dummy must not participate in the play, nor may he communicate anything about the play to declarer.

Since keeps cropping up let me give my take on this

An action (by dummy) is NEITHER participating NOR communicating if the possible consequences of this action are restricted to preventing an infraction that is his right to prevent.

• I must reiterate the EBU position:

• Dummy may only attempt to prevent an irregularity when there is an indication that declarer is about to commit an irregularity
    • If dummy always tells declarer what hand is to play next this is an annoyance to the opponents which may spoil their enjoyment (Law 74)
    • If dummy tells declarer what hand is to play before declarer indicates he is about to play from the wrong hand this is a contravention of Law 43A1 (c)

Dummy must not participate in the play, nor may he communicate anything about the play to declarer.

• Having started this discussion and read the various comments, I would like to ask those who think that dummy should be allowed to point out to declarer in advance whether he should lead from hand or table: should dummy also be allowed to tell the declarer, when the defenders have won the previous trick, that it is not his turn to lead?

This would lead to a running commentary by dummy after every trick:
    Hand
    Table
    Not your lead
    !!!!

• @Vlad said:
    Having started this discussion and read the various comments, I would like to ask those who think that dummy should be allowed to point out to declarer in advance whether he should lead from hand or table: should dummy also be allowed to tell the declarer, when the defenders have won the previous trick, that it is not his turn to lead?

The law says no.

• @JeremyChild said:
    The law says no.

In my opinion the Law says YES
    L42B(2) - He may try to prevent any irregularity by Declarer

• Ok Dave, I think you have stated your opinion clearly and often enough, despite it being contrary to EBU and worldwide interpretations. All you are doing is confusing those who come here to get reliable answers to practical questions.
  • Fair enough - it was my intention to offer no further contributions, but since Vlad's question appeared to be directed at me I thought I ought to reply.

• Well, if it turns into a running commentary the laws about ettiquette and extraneous remarks might come into play. It's one thing to try to prevent an irregularity, but to operate under the continuous assumption that partner is about to commit an irregularity, although a wise precaution, is stretching the laws.

• I think this discussion has now run its course.

This discussion has been closed.