Home EBU TDs

Alert double of a weak two opening bid

I was browsing through Blue Book and was surprised to see under the must be alerted section 4H4 f
'A takeout double which has unusual shape constraints, such as a double of a weak2 opening showing 16+HCP, as this is a potentially unexpected additional meaning'
So I presume doubles of weak 2's that may include weaker hands are not alertable. Doubles of weak 2's made only on strong hands are alerted?

Comments

• @Hollyblue said:
    I was browsing through Blue Book and was surprised to see under the must be alerted section 4H4 f
    'A takeout double which has unusual shape constraints, such as a double of a weak2 opening showing 16+HCP, as this is a potentially unexpected additional meaning'
    So I presume doubles of weak 2's that may include weaker hands are not alertable. Doubles of weak 2's made only on strong hands are alerted?

Yes, that's what the regulation says.

• a double of a weak 2 opening showing 16+HCP

I think the regulation is aimed at agreements where the only requirements for the double is HCP. So "a double showing 16+ HCP" would be made on both 5-3-3-2 or 4-1-4-4 with 16 HCP, regardless of whether the opening was 2H or 2S.

• I read it as applying to those agreements that used to be more common, whereby double is takeout with 16+ and 3C is takeout with fewer than 16hcp (or vice versa).

• But takeout with 16+ would not have "unusual shape constraints", which was what was the unexpected aspect in the original post.

• @Robin_BarkerTD said:
    But takeout with 16+ would not have "unusual shape constraints", which was what was the unexpected aspect in the original post.

That's true. It makes me think the wording of the regulation might need looking at.

• 4H4(f) actually says "A take-out double which has unusual strength constraints, such as a double of a weak
    two opening showing 16+ HCP, as this is a potentially unexpected additional meaning". So I think the wording is fine.

• @Paul_Gibbons said:
    4H4(f) actually says "A take-out double which has unusual strength constraints, such as a double of a weak
    two opening showing 16+ HCP, as this is a potentially unexpected additional meaning". So I think the wording is fine.

That'll teach me to trust someone else's "quote"!