Home EBU TDs

Movement query, switched skip Web Mitchell

On Sunday I'm due to run a pairs qualifier with sixteen tables, to be followed by a seven-table final and nine-table consolation. I've been asked to have twelve rounds in the qualifier. My intention is to use a skip Web Mitchell, and I was going to arrow-switch the last two rounds at all tables, but then I looked in the Jannersten movement guide (the big orange book) and found a schedule for arrow-switching a curtailed switched Mitchell on page 93 that has them switching rounds 2, 3, 4 and 7. They have the skip after round 8.

Is it worth following this, and is it even possible to move the skip using EBUScore? As it's a major competition I would like the best balanced movement, but I'm not sure how much of an improvement it would be. .

The arrow-switching schedule on the previous page for complete skip Mitchells (those where R = T-1) is quite strange. For eight tables playing seven rounds, for instance, they arrow-switch more than half the rounds.

Comments

• It's certainly possible to create such a movement for EBUScore, but I suspect the theoretical advantages are outweighed by the confusion that would be created and the consequent failure to switch at the correct time. In any case, I don't think the best arrow-switch pattern would be the same for a Web as for a standard Mitchell.

• I realised after I had posted my question that I could create the movement from scratch and put the skip wherever I like. I just wondered if there was a way to move the skip to a different round in a ready-made movement, in the way you can choose which rounds to arrow-switch.

I think the part of the Jannersten book I referred to was specifically about Web Mitchells, or intended to include them, as it directly followed a section about Web Mitchells. I'll have to check when I get home.

Was I right to be puzzled at a movement that arrow-switches all tables for more than half the full rounds? Surely that's equivalent to leaving those rounds unswitched and switching the rest.

• I think the reason for switching more rounds than are left unswitched is that round one is fixed as the unswitched position, so if there's a need with eight tables playing seven rounds to switch rounds 2, 3, 5, 6 and 7 that's what they do, even though it would make more sense to switch rounds 1 and 4.

As to arrow-switching, you may be right. I had thought Jannersten was including Web Mitchells, but re-reading it they don't mention them, and perhaps were not even aware of their existence when they wrote the book. Perhaps it's safer just to stick to switching the last two rounds. Knowing my luck I'd spend time creating a new movement only for an extra pair to turn up on the day.