Home EBU TDs

Blue Book 4D6 - announcing non-forcing advances

@ais523 said:
I've noticed a possible issue with 4D6: there are two common non-forcing meanings in sequences where the opponents open, one partner overcalls, and then the other advances with a new suit. For some pairs, the new suit does not show strength and is frequently passed. For other pairs, the new suit does show strength, and can be passed, but it's usual for the overcaller to continue.

This distinction was considered important enough by the ACBL to have a specific line on their system card for it, with checkboxes allowing players to clarify which option they meant. However, 4D6 appears to use the same announcement, "natural, non-forcing", in both situations. Is that intended?

It is intended that non-forcing natural advances are announced as non-forcing.

This was a by-product of announcing non-forcing responses, which were previously alerted. There was previously no explicit statement that any non-forcing natural advances were alerted whether they were "constructive, non-forcing" or "to play" (contract correction).

The regulation to announce non-forcing responses was extended to non-forcing advances to make the regulations easier to write. No consideration was made about the different meanings of "natural, non-forcing".

As an opponent, you should remember than announcements are a form of alert, and should encourage you to ask if the difference in meaning is important.

If you play these methods (and understand there are other methods) you could extend your announcement to "natural, non-forcing, invitational" v. "natural, non-forcing, could be weak, to play".

Comments

• Ah, I see – the announcement effectively replaces an alert (in that it reminds people that they may need to ask a question) because none of the bids involved would otherwise be alertable.

At present, I generally play online with self-alerts, and so have been giving an expanded alert for the bids in question anyway (and don't necessarily expect opponents to know that the distinction exists, so I ask when it matters).