Home EBU TDs

Blue Book 9A1 (Online rules section)

This states: "Players may consult their own system card and other (system).

Why do we allow this? There is some disquiet at our Realbridge sessions that it is being abused.

Comments

• IIRC the reason is that it's almost impossible to police (e.g. even over Realbridge, you generally can't distinguish between a player checking their opponents' system card and checking their own system card, and neither action is particularly noticeable if the players are looking at an electronic rather than paper system card), so explicitly permitting it shuts down an almost undetectable means of cheating via putting the honest players on a level playing field.

• I wonder in what way one can abuse something that is permitted.
  • @gordonrainsford said:
    I wonder in what way one can abuse something that is permitted.

Abuse is not the same as breaking the rules.

People are playing systems that are far more complicated than they would if they had to remember them. To quote one of the unhappy players: "We play a rich and complex system. Yes, it is challenging to remember but we regard that as part and parcel of being a good bridge player, and the chance of a misunderstanding (which happens!) as part of a risk/reward trade-off. Under this rule you would not have to remember a single aspect of your system which feels, dare I say, more than a little ridiculous."

• What limits the complexity is that the players are responsible for their own timekeeping.
  • I remember telling one player they can check their system but if they spent several minutes looking for a footnote there might be a slow play penalty. Certainly if you were playing a completely unfamiliar system there would be problems there.