Home EBU TDs

Declarer concedes a trick, dummy objects

Something weird that happened at the table recently: declarer stated that they were conceding 1 trick (and claiming the rest), but did not show their hand. At this point, trumps had been drawn and there were enough top honours to score the remaining trick (including some in each of the remaining suits, and with no entry issues). As such, dummy objects to the claim. The Director is called (still with declarer's hand not having been shown). The Director asks declarer to make a claim statement, and they state a specific card that they are conceding a trick to – but that card had already been played to an earlier trick.

I am not quite sure specifically which Laws apply to this situation. I read the "(dummy included)" in Law 68D2 as allowing dummy to object to the concession (which would be consistent with allowing one defender to object to the other's concession), but am not sure. It's also unclear to me whether Law 70 or 71 applies to the conceded trick (or, for that matter, if Law 71 applies, whether Law 71A applies or you have to use Law 71B instead). For the actual ruling, I think all these Laws would have lead to the same result, but I can easily imagine situations in which they wouldn't, so am curious about what the correct Law to apply is in case the situation comes up again.

Incidentally, a literal reading of law 71A implies that maybe it depends on which side won the trick on which the "loser, except it's already been played" card was played – the Law allows for cancelling a concession of a trick that the side has won, but not for cancelling an attempt to concede that the side had earlier lost (thus counting the trick twice). This seems like it might be a mistake in the Laws, or at least something that could do with clarification.

Comments

• edited April 9

Agreement to the concession had not been established so we are still in Law 70 and the TD determines a result consistent with the original claim statement - ie simply the statement that they were conceding a trick. If there is no normal line that loses a trick then they don't lose one.

Applying 68D2 gets us to the same point.