Home EBU TDs

Information arising from S59

If declarer rejects a lead out of turn and requires the correct defender to lead the suit of the penalty card, but they are unable to comply as they don't have any, is that information unauthorised once the penalty card has been picked up? Many thanks

Comments

• Law 50 E 2
    Information derived from a penalty card that has been returned to hand is unauthorised for the partner of the player who had the penalty card, but authorised for declarer.

• How about Law 16 C 1 & 2 ?

• I'm not certain what the original question is asking. Whether the card that was led is UI or the fact that his partner has no cards in that suit?

• It looks to me the question is asking about the fact that offender's partner has a void in the suit of the card led out of turn. Law 59 states he may play any otherwise legal card so there's no UI concerning his void. Of course, if the player has previously revoked by playing his last card in the suit or fails to see a card in the suit he's been instructed to lead that's going to complicate everything.

• Law 16 C says that the information from the redrawn play is UI for the offending side. But how about the information that partner doesn't play a card in the suit specified by declarer - perhaps after a question from declarer and an answer?

• I think the inability to comply with the requirement to lead a suit is probably UI, I cant find anything specific but I think it's covered by 16A1c as "information...arising from the legal procedures authorized in these Laws" A player is allowed to know that their partner was required to lead a particular suit, and may draw their own conclusions about a failure to do so.

• There are two questions in this thread. This is my take on the questions and answers.

East has a penalty card. West is on lead. South requires the lead of the suit of penalty card. East picks up the penalty card. West cannot comply with the lead restriction and can lead anything. Is information that East holds the penalty card unauthorised to West? Yes. Law 50E2.

East has a penalty card. West is on lead. South requires the lead of the suit of penalty card. East picks up the penalty card. West cannot comply with the lead restriction and leads a different suit. Is the fact that West is void in the suit of the penalty card unauthorised to East? No. This information arises from the legal procedures of the game: Law 161(c)