Home EBU TDs

What is the ruling?

The Bidding goes 1NT (N) - 2C (E) - P (S) - P(W) - 2D (N) - P - P - 2H (W) The director is then called as west says sorry 2C by my partner shows the majors. I always forget.

I think if they realised on first round and bid 2H that would have been the final contract, should they be allowed to play in 2H following the above auction?

Comments

• 1NT- 2C - P - P
    2D - P - P - 2H

Was there any UI that woke West up? If so, West's actions would be constrained and it may well be that the 2H bid would be disallowed if it gave EW a better result that defending 2D.

If there was no UI, we would need to consider the question of misinformation, and whether North might have done something different on the second round of the auction (pass?) if he had know that 2C showed the majors.

• Opener is entitled to be correctly informed about 2C before bidding 2D. The TD should have been called when West gave the late alert/explanation. It appears likely that North would pass 2C if it shows the majors and is often forgotten, in which case the score if adjusted to the result of EW playing 2C.

For their own bidding, West is allowed to remember whenever, and bidding 2H on the first round or later is legal.

• @Robin_BarkerTD said:
    Opener is entitled to be correctly informed about 2C before bidding 2D. The TD should have been called when West gave the late alert/explanation. It appears likely that North would pass 2C if it shows the majors and is often forgotten, in which case the score if adjusted to the result of EW playing 2C.

For their own bidding, West is allowed to remember whenever, and bidding 2H on the first round or later is legal.

Provided he didn't observe any grimace or other inadvertent unauthorised information from East. And of course North is allowed to know that East has shown the majors, but not that South has forgotten the meaning. It is a standard part of Landy (assuming the convention to be so) that 2C can be passed if the hand opposite has a long club suit.

• "Provided he didn't observe any grimace or other inadvertent unauthorised information from East. " The most compelling bit of UI is that 2C was not alerted so West knows that 2C has not been taken for the Majors

• Interestingly, if my partner didn't alert 2C my first thought would be that they forgot to alert. But it's the partner of the 2C bidder who's woken up here. So there's not necessarily any UIon their part. There's misinformation of course, as other's have said you'd look at the 2D bid here.

• Your first thought might be that partner forgot to alert but the TD might think that there was no alert because partner had forgotten the method and when these things are nt cmpletely clear ruling in favour of the non-offending side is common (and, IMO,right)

• @JamesC said:
    Interestingly, if my partner didn't alert 2C my first thought would be that they forgot to alert. But it's the partner of the 2C bidder who's woken up here. So there's not necessarily any UIon their part. There's misinformation of course, as other's have said you'd look at the 2D bid here.

So given that N has been misinformed and suppose the decision has been to rewind the auction to allow N to take the 2D bid back, is N entitled to know:

• Did W forget to alert (but knew they were playing Landy, and hence has long clubs)?
    • Did W forget they were playing Landy (and hence is passing with anything on the assumption E has clubs)?

...as it will likely make a difference to whether N passes or bids something else.

My hunch is that they are only allowed to know what the partnership agreements are, and not what for a brief moment West erroneously thought they were.

• It's what partnership agreement is they're entitled to. Which may or may not be clear. From the initial post they do have the agreement to play Landy, sometimes this isn't so clear.