Home EBU TDs

Unexplained conventional bid - remedies?

An incident happened recently at a table with 4 experienced bridge players. The director was called at the end of the hand (attached as a picture file).

West opens 1NT (12-14)

North bids 2NT

East asks for an explanation of 2NT, but South is unable to give one. North offers East his convention card, but East doesn't look at it, or at least doesn't see that it's Multi Landy showing 5-5 in the minors (bit of poetic licence used by North) which is clearly shown on the card under the ML section

East then doubles

South bids 3H, as it's South's longest suit, which was passed out. This was played, and made. EW have asked whether they can have an adjusted score.

As far as I can see, the only potentially applicable law is 40 B 3(a) which allows an adjusted score if the non-offending side is damaged.

My review of the hand suggests that they weren't damaged by the lack of explanation, and could have found out the information by reading the convention card. The 'damage' was caused by the intervention over 1N, but that is just part of the game.

Is there anything else that should be considered, and any other relevant laws?

Thanks

Peter

Comments

• Wasn't most of the "damage", if any, caused by East not bidding spades either a. over 2NT or b. in the pass out seat after 3H? If I were the TD I don't think I would be offering any adjustment.

• I wouldn’t offer any adjustment either.

Blue Book 2A3, is relevant. It basically says if players can take steps to protect their own rights without creating risks to those rights, then they ought to do so as, “failure to do so may prejudice their right to redress.”

There wasn’t any damage to be redressed, but if there had been, East’s refusal to look at the offered convention card would not be in their favour.

• You might also want to consider whether North's failure to raise to 4H was influenced by the unauthorized information that South didn't know what 2NT meant. I'm not saying it was, South was a passed hand, and the double from East might have done something to put him off, but you need to think about these things.

• @VixTD said:
    You might also want to consider whether North's failure to raise to 4H was influenced by the unauthorized information that South didn't know what 2NT meant. I'm not saying it was, South was a passed hand, and the double from East might have done something to put him off, but you need to think about these things.

+1

• edited December 2023

Yes, that’s a fair consideration…

Board 23 , so S opens with a pass