Home EBU TDs

TEAMS

I ran a Teams event after Christmas Dinner last year which was enjoyed by the members. Previously my (small (but long standing)) Bridge Club had an annual Teams event but it was always difficult for the Director as he would not know until 5 minutes before if he had full tables and then the Teams would be whoever was sat at that table at that time . . . all a bit random . . it eventually fell off the events calendar. Last Christmas we contrived to have full tables by 1. knowing who had paid for the meal and 2. my partner and I dropping out/in to make it full tables. And, I ‘chose’ the teams pairing up strong pairs with weak pairs . . . All good.

In my past (Bridge) life playing Teams we had scored the events (each) Team at the table afterwards and last year I spent a lot of time printing up score sheets and instructions on how to score and it all fell apart as most just couldn’t handle it and I ended up inputting the travellers into the scoring software and producing the results. This year I’ve got 9 Tables and I am planning an American Whist Down 2 Board / 18 Boards and skipping the scoring at tables and just having them fill in travellers.

Any tips / observations?

Comments

• Sounds safest to score it yourself from travellers. Presumably no Bridgemates available?

• @gordonrainsford said:
    Sounds safest to score it yourself from travellers. Presumably no Bridgemates available?

Indeed but the scoring a the table after play was (as I rememnber it) all a part of the fun of seeing who did well or not and talking it through but it needs some committement on theor part ot learn how to do it . . . . unfortunately we haven't got Bridgemate money.

• Those who know how can always score up anyway. I play in a league where scores are done through Bridgemates, but we still always score up first so that we can note the hands of interest.

• Is this correct?
    In an American Whist Down movement.
    Start . . Before a card is played::
    For example:
    Pair 1 E/W Pick up the Boards and put them on the next Table Down (Table 9) and they sit at Table 8 and then after playing those Boards they pick up those Boards and put them on Table Table 7 and they move to Play on Table 6?
    And after 8 moves they end up back on Table 1 with their N/S Team members and do not play those Boards i.e. in a 9 Table game all Teams only play 8 sets of Boards?

• Is this correct placing for the start of play for the American Whist Down 9 table 27 board ?

• @Pont said:
    Is this correct?

Essentially, yes. With nine teams, each team only has eight opponents to play, and therefore only play eight of the nine sets of boards.
    There is no need for the boards to be moved down one table for the first round, unless you don't have pre-prepared boards. (In days gone by, before the start of the first round each table would prepare one set of boards - either randomly or from curtain cards - and this would be the set that they would never play). Most scoring software should have the option as to whether boards get passed down for round 1. I would suggest that nowadays it is normal for table one to start with set 1 (bds 1-3).
    Otherwise, the "Standard" AW movement for each round is "boards down one table; pairs down two".
    If ever you have an even number of tables, there are additional complications w.r.t. the movement between rounds.

• Does anyone have table movement cards for a Thurner Teams 8 tables 7 x 3 Board Rounds they email me or photo them and email me the photo? (I need a Plan B if I have any drop outs)

• @Pont said:
    Does anyone have table movement cards for a Thurner Teams 8 tables 7 x 3 Board Rounds they email me or photo them and email me the photo? (I need a Plan B if I have any drop outs)

I now have it (found it) thanks