Home EBU TDs

Mistaken Call and UI ?

Please see the deal below.
After 2 passes, N opens 1NT, E overcalls 2C, alerted and explained at “Landy 5/4 in the majors”. S was planning to transfer to 2S, until hearing the explanation, so passed. W bids 2S, N passes, E now bids 3C, W says “Oh”, S passes, then All pass.
3C by E is the final contract. Landy 5/4 is their agreement, E admits he forgot the agreement, but appears to be acting on UI.
Law 75D3, the director awards an adjusted score. Should this be 2S by West. As, based on W original Pass, it now implies (without the Landy knowledge) that W has a passed hand with 5/6 Spades. Therefore Pass would be a logical alternative.
I have no intention of changing the result, but interested to know what the Director would award as an adjusted score (2S-1or2 by W), or whether Ave+/Ave-.
Thanks Steve

Comments

• I think 2S-2 unless the table result was better for the NOS
  • Probably wrong but I would say that it is a mistaken call (2C by E) Law 75C as it would seem that the explanation by West is as per system card. Therefore there is no infraction and 75D3 would not apply.
    Now East has UI (alert and explanation) so there needs to be a poll to find the logical alternative to 3C. I can think of one person that would say East would be insane not to bid 3C. So I suspect that the poll will produce an OK for the 3C bid. If that happens then probably West also has UI so we might need another poll to find out whether West will bid 3H; 3S; 3NT; 4C; 4H; 4S or 5C (what would the 3C bid mean in a Landy Sequence). How you word the second poll will be difficult. Don't forget that the LA for West might provoke another poll on East to find out whether the partnership has the legs to go to game if West does not bid it.
    Obviously If the first poll gives an LA as Pass then 2S-2 by West will give N/S a top.

• As others have said, East has UI here which suggests bidding 3C as opposed to maybe passing, so you'd look at logical alternatives there. Since my first thought was that I'd probably pass, probably an adjustment to 2S, but we should do a poll to establish this. Unless East reacted to West's explanation we don't know W has any UI, so probably there's no issue with the final pass.

• It looks as if their agreement isn't Landy - it seems to be "5-4 in the majors or clubs" (legal at level 4, not permitted at level 2) or "5-4 in the majors but partner has been known to forget" (Why else is 3 Clubs passed? Surely West will be bidding spades again if they actually have a decent suit) - assuming that there is no UI from facial expressions etc (and partners are very good at picking up such - opponents will be looking at the player giving the explanation, only the person giving the explanation will be looking at their partner.)

We can all make guesses without polling - South has the correct information (probably) so will never bid 2 Spades: otherwise this seems sort of like a case of unauthorised panic.

Unless something unusual comes out in the polling I admit it does look like rewinding the contract to 2 Spades -2 (with the result that both NS and EW play in 2 spades on the hand)

(Regrettably we cannot suggest 3 spades or 4 spades - they can only be considered if they can be reached in a legal manner - and if we decide that East will pass 2 Spades as a LA and that South won't stick their oar in - then we cannot legally reach either contract.

• If the TD is happy that there is no misinformation (but see previous) and that Pass is a logical alternative to 3C by East, then the result should be adjusted to 2S by West going off.

• Thank you all for your comments. 👍