Home EBU TDs

comparable bid

I was playing as follows. My RHO opened 2clubs to show 18/22, before I had a chance to bid, my LHO bid 2 spades. My intended bid was 2 spades, I had 8 spades and 9 points, so I bid my 2 spades. LHO did not understand a comparable bid - her bid showed 8/10 points.
The TD did not know what to do and finally allowed 2NT. After we had finished the TD told me that she thought a double would have been the better bid.

Any ideas, I had suggested the 2 NT as I remember watching a DVD on the EBU website where the gentleman decided to pass on one occasion, stopping his partner for bidding again - one round or is it for the rest of the auction? and another one where his comparable bid was 2 NT.

jonathan

Comments

• There is no requirement that a comparable call exist and in this case there may not have been one unless they have a call to show 8/10 points in competition. If they don't your LHO could do anything except double and your RHO would be barred from bidding for one round. UI would exist and lead penalties might apply.

• Hands that are limited in terms of points e.g. 12-14, 16-18, 20-21 are notoriously difficult to find a matching comparable call.

I don't know that the TD "Did not know what to do" - It depends on what 2NT means and how close it can come to "8-10 points" - I note there are no designated denominations so, for instance "8-10 points and a balanced hand" or "8-10 points and a spade stop" would be subsets of "8-10 points".

If the range of 2NT was close enough to that of 8-10 points then the TD might allow it as being similar: (Always noting that law 23C applies if there is a benefit to the offending side.)

Of more interest is the double: If this meant "Stolen Bid" then this would be comparable: and again if it showed similar values to the 2S bid, then it can be allowed (subject to 23C).

SO I am not surprised that third in hand didn't understand a comparable call. Mind you - the concept has been around for 6 years now.

There has been discussion about whether the offender should be taken away from the table to find out what the possible calls they have and if any of them could be comparable.

And, of course, Fourth player had the option of accepting the 2 Spade response - without checking on the laws I am not sure when this right ended. If they accepted and THEN the OP bid 2 spades then the OP would have bid out of rotation.