Home EBU TDs

Minimum Tables for Masterpoints Requirement

At a recent club visit, I was told that they run Mitchells for 3, 4 and 5 tables because many pairs dislike moving, but they switch the last round to ensure Masterpoint awards! This just prompted me to wonder why there was a minimum number of tables (3 for one winner, 5 for 2 winner) required for these awards?

Comments

• edited July 2023

Master Point and Licensing Handbook

3.1 MINIMUM NUMBER OF TABLES AND BOARDS
    3.1.1 No Master Points will be awarded for an event unless the original entry was at least:
    (a) 2 complete tables in a single-winner individual event
    (b) 3 complete tables in a single-winner pairs event (i.e. Howell type)
    (c) 3 complete teams in a team event
    (d) 5 complete tables in a two-winner pairs event (i.e. Mitchell type)
    (e) 5 complete tables in a four-winner individual event (i.e. a N, S, E & W winner).

The handbook is low on rationale, and most of the design decision for the master point scheme are lost to history, but the basic idea is that for pairs/individuals you do not give master points if less than 5 competitors are being compared, all based on full tables. One fewer tables in (a), (b), (d) and (e) would give only 4 competitors in each line.

That is why it varies for different types of movement/competition.

Why 5 competitors? Because awards for 1/3 of the field in a field of 4 is in severe damage of awarding master points to competitors below average in a singe session event.

• If you're trying to create a single-winner movement from a Mitchell at a table count that low, shouldn't you arrow-switch only about half the boards of the last round, rather than all of them? Otherwise too many boards get arrow-switched and the movement becomes imbalanced.