Home EBU TDs

TD ruling

1NT(12-14), P, 2H(transfer), P, 2S, 3H, Long hesitation then P, P, 3S ??

I think the 3S bid was not ethical.

The hand was 14 points with 4S (K,J,x,x)

Comments

• This hand might have bid 3S instead of 2S, and many would not want to defend 3H with a 9-card spade fit.

But doubtless Pass is a logical alternative and you should adjust to the score for 3H making some number of tricks.

I would not use words like "not ethical" to opener, just explain that the laws require that they pass if any one would pass (without the long hesitation) - and these positions are not easy to judge.

• I would want to know vulberability and see the rest of the hand - NV, a low doubleton heart and good intermediates might rule out pass as a logical alternative.

• edited June 2023

Maybe partner was thinking about doubling 3 hearts. After all (to the 1NT opener) he could have something like

AXXXX KJX KXX XX

Where he has a nasty surprise for the 3H bidder (Who couldn't bid 2 hearts( or whatever their system bid is to show hearts) over the 1NT opening bid.) and game is problematical.

Also of course is the 'class of player' - if he is one of those who swears by the Law of Total tricks then passing would not be a logical alternative.

• I think that a poll might be needed with the exact hand and vulnerability... you have this hand, this is the bidding up to 3H - pass - pass, what calls do you consider and what call do you make.

If my hand is something like:

KJxx
    xx
    AQxx
    KJx

then I cannot see myself passing non-vul, vulnerable I would seriously consider passing but would probably still bid 3S (this might be why I end up in lots of bad contracts ;) )