Home EBU TDs

A proposal for new alerting and announcing rules

This is prompted by the recent post on "only ask if you want to know".

I know alerts and announcements are designed to inform opponents whilst reducing the availability of UI to partner, but I think they cause more problems than they solve.

Why should I be put under an onus just because my partner wants to know what a conventional bid means?

What if every currently alertable call was instead announced with salient facts about the call?

The opposition would then not be at a disadvantage because of opponents multiplicity of conventional bids.

OK yes there is an increased risk of UI to partner, but how often is that likely to be any more "useful" than the (lack of) alert?

Moreover, if a player does not have the hand described, it will be obvious and the possible use of UI investigated.

Comments

• A new blue book is being finalised and will be effective from August - it includes a major revision of alerting doubles and many more annoucements. We intend to publish a public draft at the end of this month.

• @Robin_BarkerTD said:
    A new blue book is being finalised and will be effective from August - it includes a major revision of alerting doubles and many more annoucements. We intend to publish a public draft at the end of this month.

Thanks, Robin.

I am sure a lot of thought will have gone into the new rules. It would be interesting to know why the changes were made - if we know the rationale it's easier to apply the rules in borderline cases.

• Robin, silly question from a relatively new club TD....where will we see the public draft? I am assuming on the EBU website somewhere. I still get problems with people not understanding last Septembers changes and waving the EBU diary in front of me quoting what is an out of date announcement and alert chart.

• We hope to publish a public draft in June. There will be something on the Laws & Ethics pages of the website and I will post something here.