Home EBU TDs

NGS Masterpoints?

I've just seen an email from a bridge holiday company that states they will be awarding "EBU master points for the morning bridge but NGS master points for the main evening sessions"

I don't understand - what's an NGS masterpoint?

Comments

• I imagine they mean that the evening sessions (only) will be processed for the NGS.
  • @gordonrainsford said:
    I imagine they mean that the evening sessions (only) will be processed for the NGS.

Can they do that?

I thought events had to be processed for the NGS with limited excpetions which had to be claimed in advance.

• I wonder if they mean that the evening sessions would be Master Pointed on a handicapped basis using the NGS, but that would only be permitted if stratified using NGS to stratify.

Barrie Partridge - CTD for Bridge Club Live

• @JeremyChild said:

@gordonrainsford said:
    I imagine they mean that the evening sessions (only) will be processed for the NGS.

Can they do that?

I thought events had to be processed for the NGS with limited excpetions which had to be claimed in advance.

Yes, they can process the entire game with no NGS using the "mentor" code provided they tell people in advance that is what they are doing. This was introduced for mentor games some time before the pandemic but during lockdown it started to be allowed to be used for any games, because of the concern in some clubs about cheating in online games. Then there was a specific request for this to be allowed for holiday operators.

Ironically the earliest cheating cases came in games that were not processed for NGS!

• You learn something new every day!

Thanks, Gordon.