Home EBU TDs

Just Checking...

Law 16B1 states that partner's failure to alert is UI.

Fair enough.

What about failure to alert a bid that should not be alerted?
S N
1D 1H
3C (not alerted)

3C was intended to be a splinter but S mistakenly jumped one instead of two levels. A misbid rather than an unintended call.

Is it UI?

I think so, but it's certainly slightly greyer than a normal failure to alert.

It feels a bit like when partner makes a jump bid without playing a stop card. Were they just being lazy or did they not realise it was a jump bid?

The consequnces of it being UI is, of course, that S is not allowed to know that she has not shown heart support.

Comments

• Yes, I think this is UI. What is more important than whether a bid should have been alerted is whether the player was expecting an alert, as is the case here - I've just checked, the language in 16B talks about unexpected alerts, not mistaken ones. Ideally, a player shouldn't be gaining information from their partner's alerts (or failure to alert).

• edited March 2023

Bids above 3NT (after the first round) are not alerted, so South should not expect an alert in this case. But let's say her partner is trigger-happy with the bidding box, playing at the turn of the millenium and usually alerts these Splinters. At some point South could realise that she has misbid - does the UI mean that she isn't "allowed" to realise her mistake?