Home EBU TDs

Declarer Opening Lead out of turn

I’m just reading a Victor Mollo book, where Declarer (The Rabbit) makes an Opening Lead out of turn.
I wondered if, in real life, the opposition could Insist and Accept the Lead out of Turn. (Say Declarer makes an Opening Lead of K.Clubs.)
Law 54E Opening Lead by Wrong Side, states Law 24 now applies. Although Law 24 is “Card Exposed or LED during the Auction”.
It appears the only relevant part would be 24D; The card being picked up and returned to the hand. In this case, where the Auction has finished with three passes, I would be pleased to have this clarified.
Therefore, from this can I assume the defending side could not Insist to Accept the Incorrect Opening Lead out of Turn. Whereby Declarer may legally return this card to his hand.
Just curious in case I ever come across this.
Thanks Steve.

Comments

• edited March 2023

If the declaring side expose an "opening lead" the auction period is not over Law 17D

D. End of Auction Period
    1. The auction period ends when, subsequent to the end of the auction as in Law 22A, either defender faces an opening lead.

Law 24 does not apply, because the auction is over. Once there is an opening lead by a defender, declarer's card is picked up (?).

If a defender attempts to accept declaring side's "opening lead" by playing, the defender's card is the opening lead.

• I think this is all a consequence of the change in wording to Law 24 in the 2017 Laws, which was not accompanied by a corresponding change to L54. I've drawn it to the attention of the secretary of the WBF Laws Committee in the hope that this will be corrected for the 2027 Laws.

If a defender did play a card to the incorrect lead by declarer, or attempt to put down their whole hand as dummy, this might, depending on the circumstances, be a situation in which the TD would deem the card/s not to be penalty cards, as permitted by Law 50.

• Thank you for your comments 👌