Home EBU TDs

Revoke?

I am very much a novice director. Declarer (a good player) called for a card from the table. He said he called for a heart which he intended to ruff. Dummy thought he called for a diamond and played a small diamond. Declarer assumed a heart had been played from dummy and played a trump, winning the trick. He had a diamond in his hand. Play continued until the revoke came to light a couple of tricks later. Declarer was adamant that he called for a heart and that it made no difference to the result anyway. I looked in the Yellow Book but couldn't find anything specifically covering the situation unless it's treated as a simple revoke. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Law 45 D. Dummy Picks up a Non-designated Card

1. If dummy places in the played position a card that
      declarer did not name, the card must be withdrawn
      if attention is drawn to it before each side has
      played to the next trick, and a defender may
      withdraw and return to his hand a card played after
      the error but before attention was drawn to it; if
      declarer’s RHO changes his play, declarer may
      withdraw a card he had subsequently played to that
      trick. (See Law 16C.)

2. When it is too late to change dummy’s wrongly
      placed card (see above), the play continues
      normally without alteration of the cards played to
      this or any subsequent trick. If the wrongly placed
      card was the first card of the trick, then the failure
      to follow suit to that card may now constitute a
      revoke (see Laws 64A, 64B7 and 64C). If the wrongly
      placed card was contributed to a trick already in
      progress and dummy thereby has revoked, see Laws
      64B3 and 64C.

• It is not explicit in Law 45D2, but I think that if the wrongly placed card was the first card of the trick then the suit of the wrongly placed card is the 'suit led' in Law 44F for the purpose of determining who won the trick.

• @Robin_BarkerTD said:
    It is not explicit in Law 45D2, but I think that if the wrongly placed card was the first card of the trick then the suit of the wrongly placed card is the 'suit led' in Law 44F for the purpose of determining who won the trick.

I think this wording is intended to mean that: "the failure to follow suit to that card".