Home EBU TDs

2cl opening

Hello !
Please kindly see the file attached.
2cl opening bid by the opponents is played strong.
Here, E opens 2cl ( no alert ) and S dbl ( indicating clubs ) and all pas. So the contract is made. E submits Td at the end , complaining about the strength of the E 's hand. ( only 12 points )

As far as I know 2cl strong opening bids is made either 22+ balanced or 16 + for unbalanced hands as it is described in Blue book.
( 17+ in ACBL for unbalanced hands)

My questions are ;
1 ) is 2cl opening with 12 points considered as a psychic bid ?
2) If so , are artificial psychic bids allowed in EBL ? ( As far as I know not in ACBL if yes, please correct me)
3) How would you rule this contract if you were the Td ( also at a face to face table )

I will be very pleased if you share your thoughts.

Thanks, and regards.

Secaaddin Ozdeniz

Comments

• It depends on what 2C shows. What is their agreement? Where was this played?

• Hi again.
    It was played on BBO . 2cl is always strong. ( This is the partnership agreement.

• It still depends on the jurisdiction. If it was in an English or Welsh event I would find out why he bid 2C and if he said to show strength then he is playing an illegal agreement and the board is cancelled and he receives ave-, opponents ave+, unless they scored better. If he could convince me it was a psyche - and it is a very strange one, I would need a lot of convincing - then the result stands.

I understand that some European jurisdictions do not allow psyches of artificial openings, but there again, was it a psyche or not?

So I am afraid I cannot give a definitive answer without more information and I should need to speak to the player.

• Say, the opener evaluated his hand strong enough to open 2cl simple because of 5-4-3 unbalanced distribution.
    This might have been a lack of knowledge as well . But I have no idea about how EBL will consider this in not only online but also face to face tournaments.

• All 2-level suit bids should be self-alerted/explained in EBU online events - face-to-face they are either announced or alert. This 2C opener isn't strong but we can't rule unless we know what was intended, and what their agreement is.