Home EBU TDs

Lead Penalties

D. Disposition of Major Penalty Card
When a defender has a major penalty card
(a) Except when there are lead penalties, a major penalty card must be played at the first legal opportunity.

The above states 'when there are lead penatlies' inferring that there are some situation where there is a MPC when there are no lead restriction? When there is a Major Penalty card, what are the occasions when there no lead restrictions?

(I know I should know the answer to this question but it's slipped out into the dead part of my brain)

Comments

• We're talking about two different lots of lead penalties. Usually it is only the partner of the person with the penalty card who has lead penalties, but when both of them has a penalty card they both have lead penalties. This law explains what takes precedence - ie you may be able to forbid the lead of a suit in which a penalty card is held, as clarified in 50D1b.

• Thanks Gordon, my question was (and I know I should know this answer) . . . when there is a MPC is there always lead penalties (for the offenders partner)? The reason I asked was because:
    Law 50D
    D. Disposition of Major Penalty Card When a defender has a major penalty card, both the offender and his partner MAY be subject to restriction, the offender whenever he is to play, the partner whenever he is to lead.

Does that 'May' apply solely to maybe both or . . . . . when there is a Major Penalty card, are the occasions when there no lead restrictions?

• I think the use of 'may' is to cover the possibility that although there are restrictions, they may not apply: e.g. offender's partner may never get on lead.

This clause if for emphasis and the point being emphasised is 'both' not 'may'.

• Notwithstanding that the Laws say MAY and not WILL I can’t find anywhere in the Laws that explains why/when THAT Major Penalty Card (MPC) will incur lead restrictions and THIS MPC will not incur lead restrictions !!

Perhaps an example might help me.

Law 62
    B. Correcting a Revoke
    To correct a revoke the offender withdraws the card he played and substitutes a legal card. 1. A card so withdrawn becomes a major penalty card (Law 50) if it was played from a defender’s unfaced hand.
    (Side question: Surely the hand will always be and unfaced hand so why say it?)

Back to my MPC LR's question
    Example: (Trumps are Hearts)
    Lead is 8H, Offender’s P plays 4H, RHO plays JH, offender plays 6 Spades. Offenders P asks “No H’s p? . . offender look and finds the 7H’s in hand and replaces the 6S with that 7H. The revoke was not established and is corrected and (according to 62b the 6 Spades becomes a MPC).

LAW 50 - DISPOSITION OF PENALTY CARD
    D. Disposition of Major Penalty Card When a defender has a major penalty card, both the offender and his partner may be subject to restriction etc., etc.

Question: In the above example is offender and offender’s P subject to lead restrictions and if not – why not?

(Note: The reason I am seeking this clarity if because I am trying to train up a member of the Club (blind leading the blind) and I am struggling to answer some of his questions (I know I should know these answers having done my and passed my TD training but . . .)

• I think if you continue to read the whole of L50D, it should be clear.

• In the above case the lead restrictions are as follows:-

Offender MUST play the 6S at the first legal opportunity - whether in leading, following suit, discarding. Failure to do so is another revoke.

When offender's partner obtains the lead and the 6S is still a MPC declarer may request one of three things. The TD (if playing) should ask to be called back if offender's partner obtains the lead before the lead is made - and can then tell declarer the options. Otherwise he should remain at the table while the MPC is present ready to explain the options and requirements, which are: -

1) Lead a spade: at that point the 6S is picked up and offender's partner must lead a spade if he can, If he hasn't a spade he makes any lead he likes. If he has a spade and doesn't lead it then he, too, has revoked! The declarer cannot insist on another lead option if the player cannot comply with his first request.

2) Do NOT lead a spade: at that point the 6S is picked up and offender's partner must not lead a spade - nor can he lead one until he has lost the lead and regained it. The same principles as 1) apply

3) Make a normal lead. In which case the penalty card remains on the table and declarer will have the same options the next time the partner has the lead (if the spade is still a MPC). Note that Law 16B does not apply as information about the penalty card is authorised whilst it is on the table (Law 50E1)

There is of course a slight problem: say the King of spades is a MPC and declarer asks partner to make any lead. Partner happens to have AQJ3 of spades - of course he knows partner has to play the King and so decides to lead low (this is perfectly legal). Partner held K4 of spades and so the defence took 4 spade tricks.

To avoid the defenders gaining, law 50E4 applies. the TD can decide that partner would have led a high spade (or indeed another suit) - which may result in the defenders winning only two or three tricks in the suit depending on various other factors. Naturally the TD can weigh the various possible results.

So : you aren't constrained from making use of the information - but you cannot gain from doing so. The main application of this law is that partner has no problem about whether to 'carefully avoid making use of the information provided' as per Law 73C.