Home EBU TDs

Plans for BBO Acol robots?

In the latest EBU magazine there is mention of BBO Acol robots being used in BBO Acol daylongs. I have been asked if we could use them to makeup a half table, and potentially as partners if someone drops out.

Does anyone know what plans there are for making them more available?

Thanks

Comments

• I emailed them with that question. I was told that, at the moment, they are being evaluated and not ready for such use.

• We have tried out the BBO Solitaire Acol play and are disappointed with some of the Acol robot's bidding - they seem like an inconsistent improver who doesn't always remember the system. For example:

• They responded 1NT with 10-11 count (like a USA robot)
    • They leapt to game 1H-p-4H with 11 points and an ordinary 4-4-3-2 shape
    • They punted a slam without using Blackwood and were missing two aces
    • They repeatedly bid a suit despite only having four cards

There are also some elements of the system that are strange, inconsistent or incomplete, for example:

• 4NT is basic Blackwood - why not use RKCB like many, many Acol players? The USA robots already use RKCB. Are they trying to keep the system simple? In which case why do they have complex conventions like Smolen and Truscott which are alien to nearly all Acol players on these shores?
    • Carding doesn't seem to match expectations, and apparently changes to reverse count specially for trump suit
    • Some bids offer no explanation - for example opener or responder doubling in the middle of an auction has no description - so how does the robot interpret it? Does it understand it?
    • Some descriptions fail to change during the auction - for example responder repeating a suit at a higher level is still described as four card suit with wide range
  • We can always gripe - for instance one hand the robot asked me to pick a strain at the slam level so I (with 9 spades) decided spades looked the best option - bot then corrected me to 6NT. However I think gripes about BBO Bots, which are as old as time, should really be directed at BBO - or the creators of the system, which is not BBO, I think).

We have no evidence of BBO Bots (either GIB or Acol) exchanging information other than the actual calls and plays of the auction and until then we just have to grin and bear it - at least it is the same for everyone.

• I play the Daylong Acol games most days and I have been involved in giving feedback on the Acol system used by Funbridge, on which this is based. I have raised the following points with BBO and they are planning an update tomorrow.

RKCB 3041
    4th best leads are standard
    Support doubles are not used
    Smolen is not used
    2C is game forcing except if 2NT is rebid (this is not offered as an option on Funbridge).

They certainly shouldn't be responding 1NT with 10-11 points. Was this by a passed hand? I have already raised the point with them that they shouldn't treat passed hand bidding differently than unpasssed hand bidding.

Giving reverse count signals in the trump suit (if signalling at all) is fairly standard.

I've not seen them fail to use Blackwood when it was available and would have been appropriate.

I'll raise the question of them bidding 1M-4M on hands that should just bid 3M.

I've never seen them rebid a four-card suit (unless forced).

• Is there any update on this? Most of our players don't like playing against the (SAYC) robots, but just about prefer it to a sitout. They would prefer to have the Acol robots when we have a half table, and I suspect that would be the case at many EBU clubs. (And if they are still not very good, I don't think anyone would object, as the current robots generally do quite well in our sessions!)

Thanks

• I asked BBO about this and they said:

"Not any time soon, i'm afraid. The robots used in human games run on a different type of service than the newer games like Daylongs. But we do have in the future projects to allow GIB robots to play other systems."

• Thank you for following up, Gordon.

• Hi Gordon - are you collecting any fresh system fails for feedback to BBO?

Earlier ths week Acol robot North had four little spades, void hearts, three little diamonds and AKJxxx clubs. South opened 1NT and North bid 2C Stayman. South bid 2H which North then passed! It's like a beginner who's forgotten that 2C is not natural and then gives up when partner bids hearts...

• Also I had this twice...

1NT - 2C
    2H - 3NT
    4S - 6S - with a terrible hand that had just enough for game. Had similar after a 2NT open too

Had the same sequence with their standard 2/1 system robot and it sensibly passed the 4S correction
  • You would be best to report the specific hand to BBO. Click on History and select the board result. From the drop-down "burger" menu, select Export then Send Robot Report.

• Sorry Gordon - I'm afraid this occurred on Acol free Solitaire which doesn't appear to have any history nor any way to report anything at the moment it happens.
  • I suspect it doesn’t use the same robots and there’s nothing to be done about it. You get what you pay for!