Home EBU TDs

East wants to accept!

I was recently asked this question. This is not a real case but I can well imagine it could be.

South makes an insufficient bid. The TD is called and, as per Law 10C, starts to explain to West that he will have the choice of accepting the Insufficient bid and what would happen if he doesn't want to. Not very far into this, East says "I want to accept the insufficient bid"!

There's reference to Law 11 on the current Inadmissible Double thread, but here the TD has already arrived and started a ruling.

Barrie Partridge - CTD for Bridge Club Live

Comments

• I would just deal with it under the UI laws, so if it is an LA to refuse the IB, I would adjust on that basis. Regardless, I think the comment deserves a PP.

• Thanks, Gordon. I couldn't think of anything better either, even though Law 16B says "A player may not choose a call or play .... " and doesn't add "or option given by a Tournament Director in accordance with these Laws etc etc etc etc". I'll try to gloss over that point when I reply to my correspondent! :))

Barrie Partridge - CTD for Bridge Club Live

• In the case of an opening lead out of turn before giving the putative declarer their 5 options I generally say, "The decision is yours alone. You may not consult your partner in any way". Perhaps I need to say that in situations like this as well.to prevent problems like this.