Home EBU TDs

Pairs Seated Incorrectly

(At a club, with a Howell movement) It was noted on 2 consecutive rounds, at one table, the four pairs sat in the incorrect positions; i.e. N/S sat E/W and vice versa. Yes, this was done with Bridgemates but none of the pairs, sitting incorrectly, checked the names on the Bridgemate.

I have been unable to find this in the rule books on how to rectify it. Without any guidance, immediately available, two directors conferred and chose option 2 below. At the time option 3 was not considered.

1) There could have been an adjustment in EBUScore to arrow-switch the pairs, which we did not know if this was a solution.
2) The scores could be changed to avg for both
3) The scores could be changed to ‘not played.’

I ask for your help to rectify this. Should we leave the scores to stand as scored?

Comments

• For me, number 1 is the correct solution, followed by a warning to those pairs specifically.

I would also announce at the start of the next session that players (and thier orientation) and boards are votrect before starting the round.
  • Definitely number 1. Number 3 is not a legal option whatever the question was.
  • @gordonrainsford said:
    Definitely number 1. Number 3 is not a legal option whatever the question was.

Thank you for confirming my opinion about #3, Gordon but I did not want to challenge the lead director on this so I placed the option on the forum.

• "Not played" is the equivalent of sweeping a pile of dirt under a carpet hoping it won't be found.

"Average (or indeed any artificial adjusted score) is not really an option either since there has been a result on the board.

With regard to penalties - well I suspect that for the second round the new players at the table were simply following the pairs they had been following all night. That probably explains, but does not excuse, their actions.

We still put out Howell cards (easily printable from EBUScore) since they are easier for both sides to check than the bridgemates.

• @Am4Fun said:

@gordonrainsford said: Number 3 is not a legal option whatever the question was.

Thank you for confirming my opinion about #3, Gordon but I did not want to challenge the lead director on this so I placed the option on the forum.

You can point your lead director at EBU White Book 8,12.9

• Please understand I have a profound respect for the written rules. However, at this time, bridge clubs are in a tenuous position trying to bring in new members but most importantly retaining our current members; especially those who regularly attend.

With the aforementioned in consideration, I believe the director made the prudent decision to utilize AVG rather than assessing AVG- to all 4 pairs since he did not know it was possible to use the arrow switch correction. This information is going to be disseminated to the directors and scorers.

We need to recognize this was a club game to promote fun for all players.