Home Scoring and other IT questions

No Names on Bridgemates

Using EBUScore Pairs, players input EBU number on the Bridgemates. But it does not then automatically display their names until we go into EBUScore Pairs and then tell read and write the name back to the Bridgemates.

How do we configure this to display the names automatically? It used to work as wanted, but not now. I assume we misconfigured something.

Comments

• I have had this problem occasionally, where the names aren't found / displayed, but it has always corrected itself 1 (or 2?) sessions later. My only suspicion is over the refreshing of the EBU file for bridgemates use (Player Database ... Download EBU database) before running the session, but this might or might not be the cause. If I do the download before we start, I now always shut down EBU Score and restart it before running a session.

• The problem is getting the Bridgemate Program to use the Access Database file created by the Download EBU Database button. EBUScore uses by default c:\bridgemate\bmplayerdb.mdb as that Access file. There are a few steps to get this sorted. Click Download EBU Database button to get the latest EBU Database into the Access Database file on the PC. On the Bridgemate >Admin, click Setup File Location button to use that file (i.e.c:\bridgemate\bmplayerdb.mdb). This ensures that the Bridgemate Control Program knows where to translate entered numbers. Finally use Bridgemate > Set BCS Options > Bridgemate II name source to EBU Names table which tells EBUScore to expect EBU numbers rather than Player Id numbers.

These steps may seem over complex but are necessary because the location of the Access Database file was never standardised for all scoring programs. It's also a consequence of the flexibility for clubs who just want to use Player Id number entry (usually 3 didgits max) rather than the longer EBU numbers. The good news is that once sorted, you should never have the problem again!

• Thanks Jeffrey. We'll give that a try.

• Graham (or anyone else) - please drop me an email (see here for my email address) if you see this issue again and I can help to resolve it. Jonathan Lillycrop

• Hi. I just asked the same question. Forget any complicated solutions. On BCS option, Player Management, then check disable PID entry. Don't know why this works, but it worked for me. Thank you Robin, chief TD.
  • Correction. Go into Players Names on the event menu. . Click Player Database at the bottom,then Player management, and check "Disable using PID for name entry"