Home Scoring and other IT questions

The effect of Robots on NGS Grading

I understand that Robots have an NGS grade depending in whether they are standard or advanced (Roughly a Jack or a Queen)

However I also understand that a recommended technique with robots is to penalise them heavily so they come near (or at) the bottom of a session - for the benefit of the players.

This is equivalent of course to them going elsewhere and doing very badly so their NGS ranking comes down. Which means that in any event involving robots players are actually playing in a field that is in fact stronger than a simple calculation would show.

Which in turn means that players in events with multiple robots are actually obtaining lower pluses and greater minuses on their NGS grades as the robots try desperately hard to recover their lost rank.

Now the difference may not be significant, but it is there.

Comments

• @weejonnie said:
    However I also understand that a recommended technique with robots is to penalise them heavily so they come near (or at) the bottom of a session - for the benefit of the players.

Recommended by whom? It is legitimate to remove a robot pair from a ranking list entirely if they are considered to be playing without standing, but I can't see a legal basis for reducing their scores and leaving them in the ranking. In some cases this would lead to more master points being awarded than is correct.

• I think you will find this was suggested by Robin Barker in this forum on 1st October.
    It can now be done simply in the latest version of the BBOtoXML extractor.

• @gordonrainsford said:

Recommended by whom? It is legitimate to remove a robot pair from a ranking list entirely if they are considered to be playing without standing, but I can't see a legal basis for reducing their scores and leaving them in the ranking. In some cases this would lead to more master points being awarded than is correct.

Silly question but how do we take someone playing without standing from the ranking list on a computer produced result without affecting the masterpoints etc? Mention has been made of "penalising" the people/person but that just takes them down the ranking list. I have looked on EBUScore and JSS instructions but have failed to find any mention of how to do this.
    Just wondered if we change the colour of the print from black to white for their name or is there some other means? Or is it that nobody knows? What did they do in the period of pen/pencil and paper?

CMOT

• I thin> @mickg said:

I think you will find this was suggested by Robin Barker in this forum on 1st October.
    It can now be done simply in the latest version of the BBOtoXML extractor.

I think I subsequently pointed out that if you do this with no further adjustments you will sometimes be awarding more master points than entitled and you will also stop the event from processing for NGS.

What is is that you say can now be done simply in the BBOtoXML extractor?

• @CMOT_Dibbler said:
    Silly question but how do we take someone playing without standing from the ranking list on a computer produced result without affecting the masterpoints etc? Mention has been made of "penalising" the people/person but that just takes them down the ranking list. I have looked on EBUScore and JSS instructions but have failed to find any mention of how to do this.
    Just wondered if we change the colour of the print from black to white for their name or is there some other means? Or is it that nobody knows? What did they do in the period of pen/pencil and paper?

You can import the event into EBUScore and then mark the pair as missing, or you can delete the pair from the XML file prior to uploading it, but if you do that you may need to also adjust the master points.

For example, if you have 17 tables, master points will go to the top 1/4 rounded up - 5 pairs in each line- but if you reduce one line to 16 pairs by deleting one of the pairs they should only go to the top 4 pairs in that line.

• Thank you Gordon
    So in effect we are taking their boards out of the whole match and they were there to make sure that no one had a sitout.

Might just try to do it on an old match and compare the two.

Many thanks

CMOT

• edited November 2020

All boards played against the robots count, but the robots' score is removed from the ranking list. Master Points are based on the number of pairs playing with standing.

• Yes just had a go with an old event. Took a while to work out how to get a copy to play with.
    Now understand
    Thanks for being patient.
    CMOT