Home Scoring and other IT questions

Closing Rounds on Bridgemates

This will seem like a silly question, sorry if it is.
We currently play 24 Board sessions, 8 rounds of 3 Boards. We are gradually building up table numbers and are soon wondering if we can increase the number of boards to 27 for a longer session. The problem is that we have some older members and we are not sure that we will be able to get all 27 Boards completed in the evening before everyone falls asleep. So if we do 9 rounds of 3 boards or 7 rounds of 4 Boards, what is the best way to "curtail" the evening to suit? Some players can be slow one week and breeze through the hands the next. The options as I see it are
1) To just do 8 or 6 Rounds and close Round 9 (or7) completely. Missing at least three boards for each pair.
2) Tell everyone to do 1 or 2 Boards only on the last round and then close down on the bridgemates. All pairs will play at least 1 Board against those sheduled to play against.
3) Tell everyone only to play 2 Boards on the penultimate and final rounds. then closing the penultimate round on the bridgemates and also the final round. All pairs play at least 2 boards against those that they are scheduled to play.

Slightly worried that all three options could "skew" the result but I am not sure how badly the "skew" will affect the evening.
Any suggestions/thoughts would be appreciated.

CMOT

Comments

• Announce at the start of the last round how many boards all the tables are to play (same for all tables).

You can just score up on the basis of the scores you have, but to keep the bridgemates happy you can enter "Not played" for the remaining boards, the boards not scheduled to be played on the last round.

• There are no problems with Mitchell movements. Just leave out the last round(s) or part rounds.
    You have to be more careful with other movements, especially when the last round is arrow switched. You may have to leave out the penultimate round (marking boards as not played.)

Alan

• Hi both thanks for that. Yes I was worried about the "Switch" aspect skewing the results. We mainly have to play a Hesitation Mitchell because of the number of sitters (yes we could do a straight Mitchell but that doesn't give a bit of variety). I think I would rather do "close rounds" on the computer as it is only a couple of clicks. Otherwise it requires moving from table to table.
    So would it be better (for less "skew" purposes) to only play one board on the pen-ultimate round and play all three boards on the final round if there are switches on the final round?
    CMOT

• On EBUScore, you can arrow-switch the penultimate round, and play however many boards in the last round un-arrow-switched

• Thanks Robin. Use the "User defined arrow switch" from the begining. Would it be "overkill" (forgive the inference) to leave the final round arrow switched as well? I can already hear the complaints "changing direction again!" The Movements book seems to suggest that this would be ok.
    CMOT

• Hi, maybe a slight repeat on above.
    Use Zero 0 for boards you want to remove, which displays “No Play”.
    For 9x3 (27 boards), if it’s Arrow switched, then better not to cancel boards on the switched round. So, on rounds 7 & 8, maybe pull 1st board of 3 board set on round 7 and 3rd board on round 8. (Don’t pull the same boards for both rounds)
    Kind regards Steve
  • Hi Stevemap

Sounds like a plan, thanks for the input. Is there a reason to pull different boards in the two rounds? Just interested in case I am asked.

• Yes, this means each of the pulled boards only looses one score (played 8 times in stead of 9). Those boards would be only played by 7 pairs if pulled twice.
    Kind regards Steve
  • Doh! Got you, thanks for that. Didn't think long enough