Home EBU TDs

Eligibility for Masterpoints - rounding up or down.

If 50% of the field are getting MPs, and I have an odd number of pairs, do I round the number eligible up or down? So if I had 27, would it be 13 or 14 pairs?

I can't find anything in the masterpoints handbook. It covers ties and fractional points, but not this - as far as I can see.

Have I missed it?

Thanks

Jeremy

Comments

• Alas this looks like a round down as 13 FULL tables.

From the handbook tables
    25-26 tables 13 awards if 1/4
    19 tables 13 awards if 1/3
    13 tables 13 awards if 1/2

• Rounded up to include more places. I grant that is not explicit in the handbook - but I think it is implicit in the tables in the appendix. It is also what EBUScore does.

• @Robin_BarkerTD said:
    Rounded up to include more places. I grant that is not explicit in the handbook - but I think it is implicit in the tables in the appendix. It is also what EBUScore does.

I found that EBUScore (1.2.6) did the opposite. For 9 pairs, with 50% qualifying for MPs, it only gave to the top 4, not the top 5.

• The handbook table explicitly says 13 awards for a single winner, it is one of the rarer cases where you lose out.

• The regulations are based on number of FULL tables rather than number of pairs.

• @Jerseybean said:
    The handbook table explicitly says 13 awards for a single winner, it is one of the rarer cases where you lose out.

I can't find which table you're looking at.

• I notice in 4.12.8 (stratifed events) it states:

_Other regulations generally pertaining to Master Point awards also apply to the calculation of
    awards within stratification categories. For example: [...]
    ii. ‘half tables’ are ignored when it comes to working out the number of awards for any
    category.
    _

This suggests the general rule is that ‘half tables’ are ignored, BUT:

1) The "half table" rule isn't stated anywhere else, as you would expect it to be if it were a "regulation generally pertaining to Master Point awards"

2) This only clarifies the situation in one specific instance. Suppose a teams event has an odd number of teams, and the top 50% get an award. No half table there. Or a pairs event has 11 tables (22 pairs) and the top 1/3 get awards?

• These are all answered in the tables in the master point handbook, In a Teams event, if there are 27 teams then the top 14 would get awards if 1/2 are entitled.
    In your pairs event of 11 the Scales clearly state that there are 5 awards if half the field are entitled and 4 if one third.
    Look at Scale A Club Basic Club Scale

• @JeremyChild said:
    1) The "half table" rule isn't stated anywhere else, as you would expect it to be if it were a "regulation generally pertaining to Master Point awards"

Identify the number of full tables in the competition, and look this figure up in the appropriate
    column (i.e. in the top third, top quarter or top half column as appropriate). For example, for 9
    ½ tables, read the awards appropriate to 9 tables.

• @Mitch said:

@JeremyChild said:

Identify the number of full tables in the competition, and look this figure up in the appropriate
    column (i.e. in the top third, top quarter or top half column as appropriate). For example, for 9
    ½ tables, read the awards appropriate to 9 tables.

My reading of 4.1.3 is that the number of full tables determines the level of the awards, not the number of recipients (the tables show the level of the awards, not the number of recipients).

Maybe it's poor phrasing?

• OK I get it now.

I hadn't properly understood how the tables work - 4.1.5 makes that clear.

Thanks, everyone!

• And so I went back the the masterpoints handbook, and went to look at Scale G (County Association Green Point Scale) with my new found knowledge.

It isn't there.

It's in the contents list, but it does not (as far as I can see) actually exist in the document.

• edited March 2022

Scale G is redundant now. There used to be a unique GP scale for county pairs championships . Now it isn't used, and GPs are awarded according to the "Standard EBU formula", with top awards, etc., specified in paragraph 6.3. I don't think that scale G is even mentioned anymore - except, as you observe, in the index!