Contract 2H by South. West leads SK

SK, A, 3, 4
HA, 6, 3, 9
H2, Q, K, C2*
HJ, D3*, H5, S5
S7, 2, J, 6
CQ, 3, 6, 4
C5, K, A, 8
At this point West announces that they have revoked, having found the HT behind the C8
Everyone agrees that the revoke(s) are established. The TD was playing and we knew we would have to call them again at the end of the hand, so the TD was not called at this point. Play continued.
C9, HT, CT, C7
At this point defence cash 2 Diamond winners and declarer wins the rest. 10 tricks taken.
Director !

I think I know the correct ruling but would be interested to get another opinion.

Comments

• LAW 64 - PROCEDURE AFTER ESTABLISHMENT OF A
    REVOKE
    A. Automatic Trick Adjustment
    When a revoke is established:

1. and the trick on which the revoke occurred was not
      won by the offending player then, if the offending
      side won that or any subsequent trick, after play
      ends one trick is transferred to the non-offending
      side.

B. No Automatic Trick Adjustment
    There is no automatic trick adjustment following an
    established revoke (but see Law 64C) if:

1. it is a subsequent revoke in the same suit by the
      same player, the first revoke having been
      established.

C. Redress of Damage
    1. When, after any established revoke, including those
    not subject to trick adjustment, the Director deems
    that the non-offending side is insufficiently
    compensated by this Law for the damage caused, he
    shall assign an adjusted score.

Interesting case. Neither revoke was won by the revoker, so initially there is a one-trick penalty. However, without the revokes declarer would have been able to dispose of a diamond loser on the thirteenth club so we might think we should adjust under 64C1 and give declarer 12 tricks.

However, what would happen if revoker had revoked once and then followed on the next round? Declarer would be able to make 12 tricks by throwing a diamond on a club, but would also get a penalty trick for the revoke. This is the expectation directly before the second revoke, so that is what we should adjust to in equity - 13 tricks.

• edited April 8

After the first revoke, declarer is a position to take the rest except for a diamond (by drawing trumps, club finesse and throwing a diamond). So although there is no automatic penalty for the second revoke, there is an adjustment because equity after the first revoke is 12 tricks, and the automatic penalty from the first revoke transfers the loser, making 13. Law 64C2(a)

Edit: Cross-posted with Gordon's reply above. We wanted each other to check our replies - thankfully they agree.

• Thank you both. I am glad you agree with me :)
    The TD at the time awarded 12 tricks and I accepted this. Only later did I realise it was wrong.

• Interesting hand. Instructive to see this point of law illustrated.