Home EBU TDs

Teams

In any given event / series of events is a Team always the same 4 people?

It has been put to me that some Clubs that run a Teams events over more than one game allow a team to have more that 4 people and have different combinations of people/parings at different events – is that true?

Comments

• Many teams events allow a 6-person team to compete. Sometimes the same 4 players must play a match or session, or sometimes the team can change the line-up during a match or session. It is unusual for a team of more-than-4 to play a one-session club multiple teams but anything longer will normally allow (if not encourage) teams of 5 ot 6 to compete.

Many leagues which take place over months allow unlimited players to play in a team over the season - especially if the teams represent a club or county. Online leagues often allow 8-person teams, even when the teams are not "representative".

• Thanks Robin. . . I can understand that a Club might enter their Team in a Teams event and that the event might be multiple games against other Teams in that league and that the Club’s Team might be a different 4 people each time but I can’t get my head around a ‘Club’ Teams event where some Teams are any 4 from 6/8 and other Teams are the same 4 people – how can that be ‘fair’?

• edited July 2023

If the conditions of the contest allow teams of 6 (or 8) then that is fair as it applies to all teams. If one team chooses to play with only 4 players then that is their choice.