T9..........................AKJ4
963.......................AQ7
QJ984.................. K6
A73...................... KT85
............Q8762
............T7
............J9642

West North East South

Pass - 1H - 2NT changed to Double - Director, please!

The Director determines West pulled the 2NT bid out of the bidding box and had it touching the table when he put it back and changed it a Double. The Director ruled the 2NT bid was made with the attempted changed to Double (Law 25B).

South did not accept the changed call and the initial 2NT bid stood. West was cautioned per Law 16B and 16C regarding unauthorized information and that a call (or later, a play, if a defender) suggested by the unauthorized information may not be chosen over a logical alternative. Said to West by the Director: "In simplified terms, if you have two or three choices all of which players similar to yourself would choose or seriously consider, you are not allowed to choose one likely to be more successful demonstrably suggested by the unauthorized information."

West North East South

Pass - 1H - 2NT* - Pass
3D - Pass - 3NT - Pass
Pass - Pass

*2NT changed to Double, Double later withdrawn

11 tricks made, East-West +460.

As Director, do you adjust the score and/or (seriously consider) penalizing East-West for using UI?

Comments

• We need to consider in what way has anyone used UI.

Presumably 2NT in this sequence showed the minors. It looks like East intended to bid 2NT and then realised it wouldn't be natural, but showing the minors. Was it alerted before the attempted change of call? It seems not, and if not, then I would suggest that East doesn't have any UI.

West does have UI. It is the withdrawal of the double that is UI under Law 25B3. Do you think West should have bid 4D rather than 3D? Maybe, and that can be tested by polling and applying Law 16B. I think 3D is enough, but that's just my view.

I doubt that EW have any agreement for the 3NT in this auction and I think that West is now allowed to believe that a wheel has fallen off. If we have West bid 4D rather than 3D, then he may have to take 4NT by East as Blackwood, so East may have to think otherwise.

I realise I have made some assumptions that would be nice to have confirmed, but my own view is that any adjustment would be a close ruling, but I'd be interested in other opinions.

As far as considering a Procedural Penalty, I would suggest that to be extremely draconian, even if we do adjust, and, in an average club game, a terrible way of losing club members.

Barrie Partridge - CTD for Bridge Club Live

• This is from an ACBL club game where 2NT is not alertable and it does show the minors.

• 3D is using UI. 4D and 5D are logical alternatives.
    If East were to try 4NT over 4D, bidding to show 1 aces is a logical alternative to pass.
    I would poll West's bid over 2NT and award 4D= if 5D is not a logical alternative, 5D-1 is it is.

• I would suggest a poll - I would respond only 3D with west's hand over 2NT showing both minors.
    East has no UI as the 3D shows preference for D over C, 3NT looks reasonable
    I would think a second poll of what to do after 3NT would be interesting. I would generally pass a game bid like that when I have more than my minimum hand (I would play 3D as being 0-7 HCP). With the same shape and 0-5 HCP I would 'correct' 3NT to 4D, with 6/7 I would pass 3NT.

This may look somewhat tame, however, I like to play 2NT here as either weak or intermediate+ (as partner is a passed hand then maybe 4-9HCP or 13+). With around 10-12 I would overcall the higher ranking suit (or possibly the suit I want lead).

I think that my response to a poll would be:

1) after pass - 1H - 2NT - pass what would I call? I would call 3D.
    2) would you consider any other bid? I would not consider any other, as I would intend to compete to 4D if the ops compete to 3H - setting up the potential for a sacrifice if they call 4H.
    3) After the bidding continues 3D - pass - 3NT, what would you do? I would consider 4D for about 1 second and then pass. Partner must be on the stronger end of their 2NT overcall (expect 16+ HCP now) and I would consider it likely that we have 5 diamond tricks, 2 clubs and partner needs only have 2 more tricks for game. As this needs AK diamonds and K clubs from partner, he has a further 6 HCP to make 2 more tricks.